Monasteries in Veliko Turnovo eparchy
Veliko Tarnovo Eparchy covers the area around Veliko Turnovo - one of three main centers of Christianity in Bulgaria over the centuries. Many churches and monasteries were built in Veliko Turnovo during the Second Bulgarian State and most of them have become a center of spiritual and cultural life.
Nowadays 15 functional monasteries in the Veliko Tarnovo can be visited by the inspired worshipper. However, those which definitely deserve to be mentioned are the Dryanovo Monastery “St. Archangel Michael”, the Kilifarevo Monastery “The Nativity of Virgin Mary”, the Plakovo monastery “St. Prophet Iliya”, the Kapinovo monastery “St. Nikola”, the Sokolski monastery “Holy Mother's Assumption” and the Batoshevo monastery “The Assumption” to the south, the Patriarch monastery “Holy Trinity” and the Transfiguration Monastery, as well as the two Arbanassi monasteries.
Dryanovo monastery “ St Archangel Michael” is situated in the picturesque gorge of Dryanovo River , 4km away from the town of Dryanovo, 14km away from Gabrovo and 24km away from the historical town of Veliko Turnovo. The monastery was one of the main centers of Hesychasm and it was a shelter to many monks in the 14th century. There was a secret storeroom for food and arms, which was the reason why rebel leaders Priest Hariton and Bacho Kiro used the monastery as their fortress at the time of the April uprising.monastery details
The Kapinovo Monastery "St. Nikola" lies at the foot of the Elena Balkan on the banks of the Vesselina river. The Kapinovo Monastery was established in 1272 during the reign of the king Konstantin Assen-Tih(Quiet) (1257-1277).The residential buildings of the Kapinovo Monastery were erected in 1856 by the funds of brothers Horozovi from the town of Elena. The Kapinovo Monastery offers accommodation.monastery details
The Kilifarevo Monastery “The Nativity of Virgin Mary” is established in 1348 from the renowned Bulgarian clergyman, Teodosii Turnovski with the generous support of the Bulgarian ruler Ivan Aleksander. Teodosii became an abbot in the monastery and turned it into one of the most significant educational and literal centre of the Orthodox Hesychasm.The name of Kilifarevo monastery was mentioned in the annals in 1442 and all survived rebels from the Second Turnovo Revolt found their shelter in it in 1596. That was the reason why the monastery was conflagrated by the Turks and its fortress walls have been destroyed completely. A monastery has no longer been restored at that place. The Kilifarevo Monastery was erected on its present place on the banks of the river Belitsa in 1718, just above the old monastery. Kolyo Ficheto, an eminent Bulgarian master began the construction of the nowadays church “St. Dimitar” in 1840.monastery details
The Patriarch Monastery “Holy Trinity” lies in an extraordinarily beautiful area at the foot of the picturesque Arbanassi plateau.According to some explorers, the Patriarch Monastery was established in 1070. Other records suggest that the holy cloister arose as far back as the reign of Ivan Alexander and its founders were Teodosii of Turnovo and Patriarch Evtimii. The Patriarch Monastery was plundered and demolished during the falling of Turnovo under Ottoman oppression. The Patriarch Monastery was restored in 1847 with the financial help of the local people, but on a different place, 1km away from the old monastery.monastery details
The Plakovo Monastery “St. Prophet Iliya” was established during the reign of the tsar Ivan Assen II.The monastery was erected on its present place in the middle of the 13th century. In 1835, the Plakovski monastery hosted the famous Velcho’s Plot, as one of the leaders of anti-Ottoman plot being the ex-abbot of the monastery, Father Sergey.monastery details
Sokolski Monastery “Holy Mother’s Assumption” was founded in 1833 by archimandrite Yossif Sokolski. In the middle of the monastery yard is situated a beautiful white stone fountain with eight spouts . It was built in 1865 by the famous master Kolyo Ficheto. Sokolski Monastery, including its frescoes, has been recently restored with EU funds.monastery details
The Transfiguration Monastery is the biggest monastery in the Veliko Turnovo region and the fourth in Bulgaria.The Transfiguration cloister played an important role in the struggles of Bulgarian nation for religious and national independence. The Transfiguration Monastery was reestablished on its present location by the father Zoticus of the Rila Monastery in 1825.monastery details